The 2016 Philippine Nuclear Science Quiz (PNSQ)
Guidelines and Mechanics
The Department of Science and Technology – Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (DOST-PNRI) will spearhead the celebration of the 44th Atomic Energy Week (AEW) on 5–9 December 2016 with the theme “Teknolohiyang Nukleyar para sa Kaunlaran ni Juan.” The celebration will focus on enhancing public awareness on breakthroughs in nuclear research, beneficial uses of nuclear science and technology, advances in radiation technology, and safety in undertaking activities involving radioactive materials. In line with these, PNRI will hold the 2016 Philippine Nuclear Science Quiz (PNSQ).
PNSQ is a national quiz bee competition which provides an avenue to enhance Filipino students’ awareness and appreciation of the nuclear science and technology field and its potential role in uplifting the quality of living in the country. The Elimination Round will be held in different regions from October to November 2016 while the National Level Competition will be held on 8 December 2016 at the PNRI compound in Commonwealth Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City. This activity is envisioned to be an effective vehicle in providing an unbiased view on nuclear science and technology.
The PNSQ aims to sustain awareness and understanding on nuclear science and technology and its beneficial applications among high school students.
- The competition is open to all public and private secondary schools in the Philippines. Participating schools should compete in the video-making competition described in Section VI-A of this document.
- The participating school should register by uploading their video entries on YouTube and submitting the completely filled Registration Forms to the PNSQ Committee on or before October 14, 2016 (Friday)--Extended until October 28, 2016 (Friday):
Facebook: Through a private message at: https://www.facebook.com/pnriquiz/
Mail: To: The 2016 PNSQ Committee
Nuclear Training Center
Philippine Nuclear Research Institute
Commonwealth Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City, 1101
Fax: (+632) 920 8788 (Attention: PNSQ Committee)
- Registration Forms can be requested from the PNSQ Committee or through the listed contact lists above or downloaded online through: http://www.pnri.dost.gov.ph/images/pnsq/2016/PNSQ-2016-Registration-Form.pdf
- The schools with the top two (2) videos from each of the 18 regions will be qualified to send participants to the National Level Competition of the 2016 PNSQ.
- Each qualifying school shall form a team of two (2) students and an official coach. The team should be officially endorsed by the School Principal/Head. A school with only one student representative will not be accepted in the competition.
Participants must be willing (with parents’/guardians’ consent) to travel to the PNSQ venue if their school qualifies to the semi-final round of the National Level Competition.
The final list of qualifiers for the national level shall be posted on November 25, 2016 (Friday) through the PNRI website.
- The student representatives and coach identified by their respective schools cannot be replaced after October 28, 2016.
IV. COVERAGE OF QUESTIONS FOR THE NATIONAL LEVEL COMPETITION
The questions in PNSQ will cover various topics on nuclear science and technology which includes radiation and radioactivity, atomic and nuclear structure, nuclear and radiation technology, nuclear power, radiation protection, nuclear safety and regulations, and current nuclear-related events.
V. PRIZES AND FINANCIAL MATTERS
- The schools with the top two (2) videos from each of the 18 regions will be qualified to send participants to the National Level Competition of the 2016 PNSQ and shall be entitled to the following prizes and travel subsidy:
• An amount of PhP 5,000.00 will be given upon arrival of the team in the PNSQ venue. This amount can be used to defray accommodation expenses within Metro Manila during the conduct of PNSQ.
• Coverage of main travel expense from home region to Metro Manila.
- Each member of the teams who qualifies to the National Level Competition (one coach and two students) will receive a PNSQ 2016 T-Shirt.
- Cash Prizes for PNSQ winners are as follows:
• First Prize: PhP 50,000.00
• Second Prize: PhP 40,000.00
• Third Prize: PhP 30,000.00
• Consolation Prize: PhP 15,000.00
• Consolation Prize: PhP 15,000.00
VI. CONTEST MECHANICS
A. Qualifying Level: Video Contest
- To participate in the 2016 PNSQ, participating schools will be asked to:
a. Create a video which reflects the 2016 Atomic Energy Week (AEW) theme “Teknolohiyang Nukleyar para sa Kaunlaran ni Juan”.
b. The video entry must not be shorter than 30 seconds and should not exceed 60 seconds.
c. Upload the video to YouTube not later than October 14, 2016 (Friday)--Extended until October 28, 2016 (Friday), and set it for public view.
d. Provide a title which captures the message of your video. It should include the word “nuclear” or “nukleyar”. Do not include any person’s name or the name of your school in the video.
e. Write a short description explaining the content of the video. It is required to include the terms "nuclear science and technology" and "PNSQ 2016", in order to be considered by the committee.
g. Video entries will be posted on the official PNRI Facebook page for voting through likes. Voting will be open from October 17 to November 2, 2016. Votes/likes registered beyond November 2, 2016 (Wednesday); 6:00PM (1800H) will not be counted.
- Guidelines for the video competition
a. The video entry must be an original work.
b. The participating school is 100% responsible for all production costs of the video.
c. All entries must not violate copyright laws or use brand names/logos. The 2016 PNSQ Committee and PNRI will not be held responsible for any laws broken, violations, etc.
d. All entries will become property of the PNRI.
e. Any entry deemed inappropriate or unsuitable, in 2016 PNSQ Committee’s discretion, will be disqualified.
- Video entries will be evaluated by the PNSQ Committee using the following criteria
a. Content (20%). Video content should reflect the 2016 AEW theme “Teknolohiyang Nukleyar para sa Kaunlaran ni Juan”.
b. Impact (20%). The video have a powerful effect on the viewer.
c. Relevance (20%). The video must be relevant to the Philippine situation and context.
d. Creativity and originality (20%). The video must be original and visually stimulating.
e. Popularity (20%). Number of Facebook and YouTube likes on the video.
- The top two (2) videos per region will be announced by the PNSQ Committee on November 4, 2016 (Friday).
- The schools who submitted the top two (2) videos will be asked to confirm their official representatives to the 2016 PNSQ National Level Competition until November 9, 2016 (Wednesday).
B. National Level: Semi-Final Round
- This will be held on 8 December 2016, 1:00 PM at the Main Auditorium, PNRI Compound, Commonwealth, Diliman, Quezon City.
- The top two (2) teams representing each region shall qualify to compete in the Semi-Final Round. A maximum of thirty six (36) teams are expected to join this round.
- The Semi-final Round is a staged quiz show with a quizmaster reading the questions. Each team shall be provided with boards where they are to write their answers.
- The quizmaster will read questions covering topics in Nuclear Science and Technology. Before reading the question, the quizmaster will specify the type of question (multiple choice, identification or computation), the allotted time for answering, and the corresponding points to be earned by the team.
- A total of thirty (30) questions will be asked in this round. Each question will be read twice.
- The teams should display their answers only at the cue of the quizmaster.
- The results of the Quiz will be tabulated on a scoreboard and on a score sheet. The five (5) teams with the highest accumulated scores will advance into the final round.
- In case of a tie for remaining slots, a tie-breaker round will be played where the contending teams will be asked randomly-selected questions worth one point each until the tie is broken.
C. National Level: Final Round
- The top five (5) teams from the Semi-Final Round will first undergo a “Power-up” stage where they will answer a set of questions to get “Power-ups” which will help them in the next stage.
a. There will be two kinds of power-ups: Jump allows a team to advance two steps in the final round and Fortitude prevents a team from going back one step despite a wrong answer.
b. The style of this stage will be similar to the Semi-Final Round with the quizmaster reading the questions and the teams answering on boards.
c. The first team to get three (3) correct answers will be awarded one Jump power-up and one Fortitude power-up. The next team to get three (3) correct answers will be awarded one power up of their choice (Jump or Fortitude). In case of a tie, tie breaking questions will be asked until a winner is determined.
- The Final Round is composed of a playing field with ten (10) steps for each of the five teams. The style of this round will be similar to the Semi-Final Round with the quizmaster reading the questions and the teams answering on boards.
- All teams will stay behind the first step of their corresponding lines at the start of this round. Each correct answer will allow a team to take one step forward. A wrong answer will cause a team to take one step back except for those who are still at the starting point. A team can choose not to give an answer for which instance, they will remain in place.
- A team possessing a power-up may use it, as applicable, until the 6th step. No team can use any power-up after the 6th step.
- The first team to reach their last step (10th) will be declared the winner. The next two teams nearest to the finish line will take second and third place.
- In the event that no team has reached the 10th step after 25 questions, the team nearest to the finish line will be declared the winner. The next nearest will be declared second and the third nearest will be declared third place.
- In case of a tie in any of the top five (5) slots, tie-breaker questions will be asked where the contending teams will be asked randomly-selected questions worth one step each until the tie is broken.
VII. OTHER MATTERS
- The PNSQ National Qualifiers will receive prizes and travel subsidies which can be used to defray expenses in connection with their participation to the National Level Competition (See Section V. Prizes). Any expense in excess of the amount provided shall be borne by the participating school.
- Food and drinks will be provided for all official participants and coaches during the conduct of the 2016 PNSQ National Level Competition.
- Participants should arrive at the specified quiz venue at least one (1) hour before the competition schedule. This time will be allotted for registration and group picture taking before the start of the competition. Participants should present their respective school I.D.s during the registration.
- Taking photos or videos during the competition is strictly prohibited. An official photographer will be present during the event.
- The officials of the quiz shall have the right to disqualify any team who violates any item of the PNSQ Guidelines and Mechanics.
- A challenge to a question should be addressed to the judges only. The challenge should be given before the next question is asked. The judges will confer and decide whether the challenge is valid or not. The judges’ decision is final and irrevocable.
- The results of the quiz will be final and not appealable.
- Important dates to remember:
• October 14, 2016 (Friday)--Extended until October 28, 2016 (Friday): Deadline of submission of video entries and registration forms
• October 17 - November 2, 2016: Posting of video entries for voting
• November 4, 2016 (Friday): Announcement of qualifying videos per region
• December 8, 2016 (Thursday): PNSQ National Level Competition
• December 9, 2016 (Friday): Awarding of PNSQ winners. This will be held during the closing ceremonies of the 44th Atomic Energy Week (AEW).
Mr. Roel A. Loteriña or Ms. Abigail D. Clemente
Philippine Nuclear Research Institute
Commonwealth Ave., Diliman, QC
Trunk Line. (632) 929-6011 to 19 loc. 236
Direct Line: (632) 920-8788