2013 PNSQ MECHANICS AND GUIDELINES
The Philippine Nuclear Research Institute - Department of Science and Technology (PNRI-DOST), the national authority on nuclear energy matters, will celebrate the 41st Atomic Energy Week (AEW) on December 9 to 13, 2013. The theme of this year’s AEW celebration is “Nuclear Science, Safety and Security: Road to Smarter Philippines”. This year’s celebration will focus on enhancing public awareness on breakthroughs in nuclear science and technology, as well as safety and security in undertaking activities involving radioactive materials. One of the highlights of the 41st AEW celebration, is the 2013 Philippine Nuclear Science Quiz (PNSQ) for high school students.
The PNSQ aims to sustain awareness and understanding of high school students on nuclear science and technology and its beneficial applications.
- The participants must be bona fide high school students from either public or private secondary schools in the Philippines.
- Each participating school shall form a team of two (2) students and an official coach. They should be officially endorsed by the Division Office of the Department of Education or the school principal.
- The participating teams should register online through this link: http://form.jotform.me/form/32388627538466.
- The registration will start on 28 October 2013 and will end on 13 November 2013. Now extended to 27 November 2013 (Wednesday).
- The number of participating teams will be limited to the first fifty (50) registrants.
- The list of participants in the 2013 PNSQ will be posted at the PNRI website (http://www.pnri.dost.gov.ph).
4. COVERAGE OF TEST QUESTIONS
The test questions will cover various topics of nuclear science and technology such radiation and radioactivity, atomic/nuclear structure, radiation protection, nuclear regulations and other related topics.
First Prize: Cash prize, a Medal of Recognition for each member of the team, a trophy for the school and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach.
Second Prize: Cash prize, a Medal of Recognition for each member of the team, a trophy for the school and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach.
Third Prize: Cash prize, a Medal of Recognition for each member of the team, a trophy for the school and a Plaque of Recognition for the coach.
6. CONTEST MECHANICS
A. Elimination Round
- This will be held on December 12, 2013 at PNRI Compound, Commonwealth Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City.
- The elimination round will be a written examination, with both team members answering one answer sheet together. The written examination will be composed of fifty (50) multiple choice questions to be answered for one (1) hour. Not following instructions will invalidate the part of the examination where the violation occurred.
- The top twenty five (25) teams shall qualify to compete in the semi-final round.
B. Semi-Final Round
- This will be held on December 12, 2013 at the Auditorium of the Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (PNRI), Commonwealth Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City
- The top twenty five (25) teams in the Elimination Round on 26 November 2013 shall qualify to participate in the Semi-final Round. No alternates will be allowed. In case a member of the team is not present, the other member will continue to participate alone in the Quiz.
- The Semi-Final Round will also be a written examination, with both team members answering one answer sheet together. The written examination will be composed of forty (40) multiple choice questions to be answered for one (1) hour. Not following instructions will invalidate the part of the examination where the violation occurred.
- The top five (5) teams shall qualify to compete in the final round.
C. Final Round
- The top five (5) teams in the semifinal round will proceed to the Final Round which will be held right after the Semi-Final Round.
- The Final Round is a staged quiz show with a quizmaster reading the questions.
- The quizmaster will read questions covering topics in Nuclear Science. Each question will be read twice by the quizmaster. Before reading the question, the quizmaster will specify the type of question (multiple choice or problem solving), the allotted time to answer the question (30 seconds for problem solving and 10 seconds for a multiple choice item), and the corresponding points to be earned by the team.
- Answering of the question will be a team effort of the two members of the team. At the signal to start, the team will write their answer on the paper provided. At the signal to end, the team will raise the paper with the answer written on it. The answer of each team will be read aloud by the quizmaster. The correct answer to each question posed will be given by the quizmaster after the answers of each team have been read. The team with the correct answer will be given a corresponding point.
- The results of the Quiz will be tabulated on a scoreboard and on a score sheet.
- In case of a tie, the procedure to break the tie, detailed below*, will be followed.
- The teams will be ranked corresponding to the accumulated number of points garnered by each team. The Board of Judges will declare the first, second and third prize winners and runners-up accordingly.
- The officials of the quiz have the right to disqualify any team who violates the rules of the quiz.
- The results of the quiz will be final and unappealable.
- The awarding of winners will be during the closing ceremonies of the Atomic Energy Week celebration on December 13, 2013.
a. The quizmaster will read a minimum of five questions. Each of these questions will be read twice. Before reading the question, he will announce the type of question, the time allotted to answer it, and the corresponding points to be earned by the team.
b. At the end of the specified time, the team will raise the paper with the answer on it. The quizmaster will read the answer of each team before giving the correct answer. A corresponding point is credited to the team for every correct answer.
c. The team with the highest number of correct answers will be declared winners.
d. The tie-breaking procedure will be repeated until the top 3 teams are chosen.
REGISTER HERE: PNSQ 2013
For more information or inquiries on the PNRI Nuclear Science Quiz, please contact:
MS. THELMA P. ARTIFICIO
Chair, Philippine Nuclear Science Quiz Organizing Committee (PNSQ)
Tel. No: (02)929-6011 to 19 local 256; Fax No: (02) 920 8796 or (02) 920 1646
Alternative Contacts: 02)929-6011 to 19
Ms. Lynette B. Cayabo (Local 256)
Ms. Alvie J. Asuncion (Local 236)
FINAL LIST OF PARTICIPANTS TO THE 2013 PNSQ
Las Pinas East National High School
Philippine Science High School - Central Luzon Campus
Cayetano Arellano High School
Mother Goose Special School System Incorporated
Ramon Magsaysay High School - Manila
Christ The King College
Tabaco National High School
Ampid National High School
San Isidro National High School
Negros Occidental High School
Ismael Mathay Sr. High School
Paranaque National High School- Main
Manuel A. Roxas High School
Muntinlupa Science High School
Manila Science High School
Paranaque National High School - Baclaran
Raja Soliman Science And Technology High School
Ignacio Villamor High School
Tagbilaran City Science High School
Muntinlupa National High School
Mandaluyong High School
Rizal High School
Grace Christian College
Las Piñas National High School
Paranaque Science High School
Novaliches High School
Holy Spirit National High School
Benigno "Ninoy" S. Aquino High School
Regional Science High School For Region IX
Concepcion Integrated School- Secondary Level
Eastern Star Academy
Jose P Laurel High School-Manila
La Consolacion College - Novaliches
Kalayaan National High School
Parang High School
Elpidio Quirino High School
Moonwalk National High School
Philippine Science High School - Main Campus
San Juan National High School
Judge Feliciano Belmonte Sr. High School
Justice Cecilia Muñoz Palma High School